An easy enough way to add some pop and pizazz to furniture, trim, accents…
Foils can be applied over a painted surface-
– I don’t foil over an existing furniture finish – I paint or seal the piece first
– over Caromal Colours Reclaim (built in sealer) let dry 36 hrs before foiling
– over chalk clay mineral based paints – it will pull right off unless SEALED first. Do not seal with wax, as the foil won’t adhere properly, I seal my American Paint clay mineral paint with APC water based Topcoat Finish.
BE PATIENT. Don’t paint your piece and topcoat all in four hours and then expect to foiling five minutes later – your base needs to be cured or the sizing will pull your finish off.
Foils work kindof like kiddy transfer tatoos – you rub them over a sealed, sized, surface – then remove the paper to reveal your finished product. Most foil patterns do not transfer 100% off the paper – expect about 80-95% transfer. Because of this, your basecoat color DOES matter as you will see traces of it.
We have a simple video in the works, showing the step by step application of Metallic Foils, and we’ll post that as soon as it’s available.
- Make sure surface is sealed. Pay attention to your basecoat color and how it will play with your foil pattern.
- Apply one coat of Sticky Size/ Wunda Size and let set up to a tack (about 15-30 minutes). You can brush or roll, but be careful of brush strokes as these can relay through to your foiled finish
- Lay a sheet of foil over the tacky size, solid size down (you should be looking at your pattern ) and scrub with a coarse scrubber to transfer the foiling.
- You can seal with a water or oil based topcoat – I like to use American Paint’s Vintage Dark Wax as it adds a little depth to the finish. Use a glossier topcoat to create a high sheen, cool over the foils.
I played around on this accent table – it was white when I got it and I used a black texturebase to create a raised allover stencil design on the top
I was yearning for something burnt orange, so I cooked up a custom color, using American Paint’s Magenta and Orange Grove
I brushed on the first coat, then a thinner washed coat, and once dry sealed it with APC Topcoat Finish
Once thoroughly dry and cured (obviously I went quicker on this one) I applied one coat of the Sticky Size – it will go on milky and tack up to a clear
I transferred Woodhaven Gold Metallic Foil onto the top using a scrub brush
then I drybrushed American Paint Shoreline, a fabulous bright turquoise – great for adding a nice patina
It was hard to stop
and when I was satisfied I realized I’d covered most of the foil 🙂
The base got a last wash of the custom burnt orange
and when it dried I started to lightly sand the finish to clean it up (you can see the right side is sanded and looks powdery)
I sealed the paint with American Paint’s Vintage Dark Wax
the bestest, most awesome wax in the world-
scrub it on
and waxed the top too
The wax antiqued that gold foil up nicely
But then…. it happened.
I couldn’t live with the orange legs longer than an hour… I grabbed Born on the Fourth of July, a great dark blue from American Paint, that changes colors as you water it down , and painted the whole thing, top and bottom.
and waxed the whole thing one more time, this time with American’s Clear Wax
Love it now!
COME LEarn WITH US
BE inSPIRED with US
You can find our workshop details here Workshops.
If you’re looking to paint with guidance, learn new products and techniques, or just looking for a great night out with friends or hubbies, check us out – I promise, you will not be disappointed!
If you’re in the Metro Detroit stop by and visit-
we’ve got a great variety of paints to fit your EVERY need!
Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday 10am-5pm
Thursday 10am – 630pm
Saturday 10am – 4pm
We ship , everywhere even international!
We realize that people that WANT to create don’t have our cool paints offered in their neck of the woods – if this describes you, please do us a favor and check out our online store – we strive to offer everything we can that will make your creating an easy and fun process. Our customers from afar are just as important as our local customers – when you shop with us we will be committed to helping you every step of the way.
We are a full service retailer competitively priced
AMERICAN PAINT COMPANY CHALK/CLAY PAINTS
RECLAIM BEYOND PAINT
BEAUTIFUL , FINISHES BY M HARRELL
BRUSHES, SUNDRIES, STENCILS
If you want to place an order, click on the store button below.